Clubmark Publications
Code Of Conduct For Coaches    
Code of Conduct for Cricket Club Members and Guests    
Code of Conduct, set of rules for Young People    
Equity Policy Statement    
Helmets policy    
Nets Policy    
Photography Policy    
       
 

Edgworth Cricket Club achieves Clubmark

 

The Lancashire Cricket Board would like to congratulate Edgworth Cricket Club from the Blackburn with Darwen MBC on achieving the ECB & Sport England Clubmark Accreditation award.

 

We would like to thank them for their hard work and commitment towards the development of their club, in particular John Mather and his committee.

 

More information about their efforts and achievements are available below.

 

Edgworth Cricket Club delighted to achieve Clubmark

 

Around 1902 Edgworth Cricket Club paid an annual rent for use of the ground. In return, all maintenance, ground and wicket repairs were undertaken by the groundsmen employed at the Barlow Institute. Consequently, the public observed a discipline in their use of the area. The club became a member of the Bolton and District Cricket Association (in Division 2A) under the Presidency of Mr JH Whitehead, whose influence and guidance were of great importance during the early years. During the first World War (1914~18), cricket continued at Edgworth, overcoming the difficulties of that period and ensuring the club would be ready to compete again at the end of the war.

 

During this period Edgworth Cricket Club became members of the 1st Division of the Bolton and District Cricket Association. In 1938 the club signed its first professional, Bob Taylor, a fine cricketer whose inspiration and encouragement resulted in the team winning the championship in his first season at Edgworth. His service was short-lived however, for the outbreak of the second World War in 1939 caused him to leave at the end of that season. Undeterred, the committee secured the services of J Heap who, in the summer of 1940 produced his own "blitzkrieg" against Walkden MM taking all 10 wickets for 31 runs and hitting the stumps every time.

 

The war years 1939~45 were very difficult for all those concerned with activities at Edgworth and the club will remain indebted to the late Mr Charles Lill for his dedicated work and service during the period and continuing years thereafter.

 

Pavilion facilities had, through lack of finance, deteriorated to the point of the Association required a substantial improvement or the club being removed from the league. After much effort by a number of people, including provision of initial capital, new premises were located and erected using member's labour and expertise. The President, Mr Whitehead opened the pavilion in 1981 and the event celebrated with an invitation game featuring opposition drawn from professionals of previous seasons. One interesting fact emerging from the match saw the appearance of three brothers on the Edgworth team sheet.

 

Championship success in 1984 was enjoyable supported with victory in the Halliwell Shield, the double achievement being rewarded for a club keen to maintain a place amongst the top positions. Evidence of that consistency is provided by qualification for the Lancashire Knock Out in successive years.

 

Required by the Association rules to organise and field competitive teams of young players commencing at under 11 age group, the club has been consistent in its youth policy. The practice nights held weekly have regularly entailed organisation to accommodate an average of sixty players, which has required both diligent and dedicated attention by senior players and club officials. Throughout the period several players of high promise have emerged from the junior ranks to progress to senior sides. Net practice indoors has commenced in the winter in preparation for the early opening of the season in April.

 

Increasing concern over the deteriorating condition on the pavilion signalled a lengthy and tedious attempt to resolve the main difficulty of the club occupying an area of Trust property and not having benefit of a lease. Years of endless correspondence with the relevant authorities failed to secure a satisfactory solution until a meeting with the Charity Commissioners insisted upon and arranged by the Clerk to our Parish Council produced a successful agreement. The main obstacle of the transfer of lease resolved, future planning for the provision of new accommodation may hopefully be concluded, so ensuring a continuance of the game of cricket by a club approaching its century.

 

Optimistic in mind and attitude the cricket club faces a new century determined to preserve its existence and build to secure a bright and successful future. 2006 will see a new era for Edgworth Cricket & Recreation club, with the endless work done by the committee and hours and hours of correspondence between Steve Simpson and Sport England, Edgworth in 2004 were awarded a Grant and in 2005 knocked down the old club and rebuilt with a brand new state of the art Clubhouse.

 

Achieving Clubmark is the next step in ensuring the future success of Edgworth Cricket Club. As a club we must thank all who have been involved in the development of the club during the recent difficult times and the contribution made by John Mather and his committee towards achieving Clubmark. Thanks must also go to Rudra Singh (CDM) for his continued support and Gerry Thomas (CSO) for his very helpful advice in helping us achieve accreditation.

Edgworth Cricket Club
Bolton Road
Edgworth
Turton
Lancashire
BL7 0AP

 

Website: www.edgworthcc.co.uk

 

   
 

Bar Opening Hours
Mon - Thu 4pm - 11pm
Friday 4pm - 11:45pm
Saturday 12pm - 11:45pm
Sunday 12pm - 9pm
     

Available for Private Hire 01204 853374

    
 
2017 - Edgworth Cricket Club  | Resources | About Us | Site Map
 

Edgworth Cricket & Recreation Club,  Bolton Road , Edgworth, Turton BL7 0AP - Tel: 01204-853374